 |
| Stormy day view from our bedroom window. |
We took the Strassenbahn into town twice the other day. It's super easy, and I wanted to make good use of the 24 hour ticket we had purchased to go to the lake. In the morning, we went to an art store to pick up some supplies. In the afternoon, we went to the Karl Schurz Haus, which has a terrific English-language library for kids and adults.
 |
| My bike thanks to our Airbnb owner! |
 |
| Playgrounds are open from 8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. We were here at 2:45 p.m. and no one kicked us out. |
 |
| A local dish is called Flammkuchen, and it's essentially super thin-crust pizza with a creme fresh base. |
Several times I have seen young children playing alone or with a sibling at the park, no parent in sight. Ages vary, but probably around four to six years old. Most of the playgrounds are in neighborhoods, and though they are often protected on three sides by trees or houses, there is usually a bike/walking path on one side and sometimes a road or tramway. I assume the kids live within sight of the park, but maybe not.
Buck and I joke that we have the loudest kids in the whole of Germany. It feels like they are constantly yelling, and even outside, I have strong urges to shush them. The few times I've heard a German baby crying or a toddler whining, it has filled me with deep joy and relief.
I made a pilgrimage to the old town Birkenstock store, and it was outstanding. I tried on at least ten pairs, and I was so overwhelmed that I ended up not buying anything and leaving, head spinning. The shop is in the cutest shopping district of the city -- so old and beautiful with many lovely details.
 |
| Our shed where we keep our bikes and bike trailor. |
We've become friends with our landlord, Chris. He is in his 40s and was born in this region. He also has two young boys--ages five and eight--and they have generously opened their back garden area to James and Eddie. It is a paradise for young boys: a soccer net, trampoline, sand box with lots of trucks, a tracker with pedals, stacks of wood, and lots of random toys scattered about. I have a full view of the yard from the kitchen window as well. A stream borders one side and we can hear it babbling from our balcony. Critically, the entire yard is fenced in.
Two nights ago, Buck watched a soccer match with Chris and his friends. Last night, we cooked dinner and brought it down to Chris's living space. His girlfriend, Carolina, was also there and she's delightful. She has three children and, like Chris, is separated from her spouse. Caroline teaches elementary school and lives in St. Georgian, a neighborhood of Freiburg about ten minutes away from Merzhausen. Completely unbeknownst to us, Merzhausen, Carolina told us, is fancy in places and has a large and irritating population of "latte macchiatto moms." LMMs are mom's who don't work, have household help, and always look perfect and well-rested.
We made a plum kuchen from the local Mirabellen plums, which grow wild in trees all over the region.
 |
| I pick a half-dozen apples a day from the trees lining the mountain behind our house. |
 |
| Mirabellen! |
 |
| These signs are banded to the fruit trees on the mountain. The sign basically says that picking a handful of fruit is fine, but if you would like to pick more to make jam or something, get in touch with Philipp, who will call you when they harvest the trees. |
 |
| The view with the trees to your back. |
 |
| I happened upon Philipp and his harvesting crew the other night, and he stuffed my pockets full of fruit and encouraged me to come back for more. He told me they were planning to make fruit leather. |
Below are pictures from a walk around Merzhausen, which is a couple of streets over from us.
 |
| This is a restaurant and winery. |
Comments
Post a Comment